This competition invites proposals for the floor plan of a “duplex flat” being constructed as part of a larger 3 story apartment block, in Bangalore, India. Our previous architect has provided us with plans for the entire apartment block, which comprises several 2-BHK (Bedroom, Hall, Kitchen) units and one duplex flat (which we ourselves plan to occupy). Currently we are not very satisfied with the floor plan/design of the duplex flat and are looking forward to getting further inputs on the same.
Please find basic details about the site/flat below:
• Site size is 50 feet by 80 feet.
• Site orientation is as given in the site map (Refer to figure 1)
• The site is surrounded by adjoining plots on 3 sides, and a 40 feet wide road in front.
• 4 feet gap between the outer apartment walls and the boundary (Same on the neighbouring sites as well).
• Apartment dimensions as given (Refer to figures 2 & 3)
• RCC (Reinforced Concrete) framed structure, with pillars as given in the floor plans
• 6” solid cement blocks for external walls, 4” solid cement blocks for internal walls.
• Flat in question is located in the top 2 floors of the house as given in the floor plan (2nd and 3rd Floors).
• The flat does not have any view of the road. It is located at the back end of the apartment block (As shown in figures 2 & 3).
• The Terrace on the 3rd floor is accessible and solely for personal use
Primary design considerations:
• As the apartment will be enclosed on 3 sides by neighboring buildings, maximization of natural light and cross ventilation are our primary concerns.
• We would like to have an efficient and visually appealing floor layout which maintains a good flow as well.
• The look of the interiors should be elegant/contemporary, something which will not look dated in a few year's time.
• We frequently have guests over, and would want the the public space (detailed below) of the house, to be as good looking as possible.
• We would like major emphasis on indoor lighting, and are looking forward to design ideas for the same.
Floor plan requirements:
• Formal drawing area for entertaining guests
• Formal dining area
• Kitchen area
• An informal private living area for the family
• Master bedroom with a walk in closet and attached master bath
• Children’s bedroom with an attached bath
• Guest Bedroom with an attached bath
• Small Laundry room
• Home Theater room
Nice to Have’s
• A powder room for guests
• A small storage room (To be used for storing seasonal clothing, bed linen etc)
• Balcony/ Sit outs (where apt or possible), 2-3 feet projections can be made in the exterior walls for this.
• A walk in closet in the children’s bedroom
• An island in the kitchen with bar type seating arrangement
• Master bedroom looking over/ opening to the terrace on the top floor
• Skylights where possible
• A cut out between the lower and upper floors
Floor Plan Considerations:
• The floor plan should have a logical division between the public and private spaces in the house. The formal drawing, dining and study would be part of the public space. The kitchen and the guest bedroom would be part of both the public as well as the private space. The rest of the areas of the house would constitute the private space of the house.
• Greater creativity in the usage of windows will be highly appreciated.
• Staircase connecting the lower and upper floors, (No spiral ones though)
Functional Requirements (By Room):
• Plenty of cabinet space (Both overhead and below counter)
• Space for a four burner cooking range, microwave and refrigerator
• Provision for a chimney above the cooking range
• Provision for an island with a bar type seating facility (If Possible)
• Needs to be a bright room with plenty of air coming in
• Need not be very big
• Preferably opening onto/ having a view of the terrace
• Dresser should be part of the walk in closet
• Master bedroom toilet requires only a shower cubicle, no bath tubs required
The size of the room should be enough to seat 4 people comfortably and house a 50” screen.
No specific concerns; please adhere to the primary considerations of the floor plan.
• Please do not utilize glass for making entire exterior walls, in order to maximize lights. This may become a security concern later.
• 2 Concrete column/pillars that permeate the flat (Marked in figures 1 & 2)
• No internal vents (Plumbing or otherwise) through the flat.
• Sanitary piping needs to be on the sides of the building.
The submissions will be pre-dominantly judged based on how effectively they are able to incorporate all the considerations of the floor design. We have pretty stiff requirements listed out above, and submissions that are able to incorporate the maximum number of them will get higher preference.
A detailed electrical plan for the indoor lighting is not expected. But we would like to see some ideas on how lighting could be utilized to make the interiors of the house more stylish, in the interior eye-level perspective views.
The design should be clearly presented in both graphical (*.dwg, *.pdf and *.jpeg files expected) and written form (Describing the basic idea behind the plan). We want enough to be able to visualize the house, and be able to work from these to develop the actual construction plans.