The Project is for the development of a small, new residential home in India (Exteriors and Interiors). There is an existing old structure on the plot which will be completely demolished before starting the new construction. The plot area is quite small (30 X 60 = 1800 sq ft) with existing constructions (houses) on three sides - back, right and left. So the only visible side is the front which is 30feet wide.
Our idea of the new construction is to have 3 floors consisting of (refer the Example Layout on http://www.pinterest.com/deepakpalsingh for a pictorial view):
Ground Floor - 2 X Master Bedrooms with Ensuite Bathrooms, Living Area with Skylight, Dining Area, Kitchen, WC, Car Parking, Front Veranda, Back Veranda
First Floor - (After leaving the area for Living Room Skylight) Master / Guest Bedroom with Ensuite Bathroom, Playroom with Ensuite Bathroom, Prayer Room, Store Room, Pantry, Front Terrace, Back Balcony
Second Floor - Terrace Only, Provision for Water Tank / Solar Panel / AC Unit etc
Please feel free to suggest an alternative layout (we will actually look forward to suggestions) provided it satisfies the overall plan. For example, any suggested layouts must have the same number of rooms and sizes.
The top selections will have a distinctive modern/contemporary style - at par with international standards. Since the plot is small, the design should have a spacious feel/look and make the house appear larger. The construction will be subject to local council rules/regulations which are described below and in the Example Layout. The design will have a well-designed interiors that incorporates our 'requirements' and ‘Likes’.
We are a small family consisting of 2 parents, a Couple and an expected newborn in December. We like modern, contemporary constructions that have a bright and spacious look about them. At the same time, it must not appear like a hotel and must retain a certain amount of warmth for a house.
Example exterior/interior designs that we found interesting can be seen on Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/deepakpalsingh)
• Modern, Contemporary Style
• Combination of different elements in design - Wood, Glass, Tiles, Marble, Steel
• Lighted surfaces (Exteriors and Interiors)
• Wooden / Marble floors
• Bright , Warm atmospheres
• Rooms with purpose; well-designed living areas that utilize space to its fullest
• Stainless Kitchen accessories (Refrigerator, Microwave, Oven, Splashback and Sinks)
• Open Living, Dining and Kitchen areas for spacious look. Island to separate Kitchen from the rest
• Natural Light and Air circulation with Cool atmosphere inside (Hot climate for most of the year with temperatures reaching 48 degree celsius. In winters that last only 1-2 months, the temperatures drop to 1-5 degree celsius)
• Green Technologies such as Solar panel on the roof top
• Future Smart-Home Ready
• Spacious, Large rooms
• The plot is South-West facing so sunlight for most of the day from 11am until the sunset
• Boxy areas (encourages small feel)
• Carpet and sub-quality tiled areas
• Wasted space as in huge “Chef’s” kitchens, grand entry halls, sitting areas in bedrooms
• Surfaces that make the room appear small such as rocks/stones
The local regulations require:
• 10feet of unconstructed space on the front
• 8feet of unconstructed space on the back (although you could occupy some of it for bathroom as shown in Example Layout)
• All the space on the sides can be brought under constructed area
We would like the design to incorporate passive solar, and other ‘green’ concepts.
• All the bedrooms (including the playroom) will have their own Ensuite bathrooms. The bedrooms/bathrooms must be airy and receive natural lighting. We prefer direct sunlight wherever possible but there must be enough heat resistance to avoid the rooms getting too hot in summers. No sitting area, we sleep and dress in the bedrooms. Open dressing area is preferred in bedrooms.
• Master bathrooms only need a shower, Toilet seat and Sink - no Bath tubs.
• Modern Kitchen. Large with CABINETS, Fitted appliances, large worktop counters. Movable counters/Island are allowed. We’ll need a pantry large enough to store our dry goods, dishes, and cooking equipment. Needs room for a range, double-door refrigerator, fitted oven / microwave and preferably a washing machine. No dishwasher space required.
• The Outer boundary wall and gate need to be included in the design and must uplift the overall look of the house
The property is located on the periphery of Amritsar, Punjab. The summers can be brutally hot and somewhat humid. The winters are typically mild. We do not get snow.The property is bound on 3 sides by residential housing and by a public roadway on the northeastern side.